Monday, July 19, 2010

Make something new Monday

Hey everyone, I'm trying something new to hold my self accountable and become a better creative boss. Every week I'm going to try to create/make something new; whether it be art, jewelry, food, whatever allows me to be creative in a new and fun way. Hence the title of Today's post.

As I had mentioned in yesterdays post it got pretty hot outside. Now I guess I should back track a little and let you know that we do not have central air I repeat DO NOT have central air. The one air conditioner that we do have probably dates back to at least the late 70's if not the early 80's. Its ancient and unless you stand a foot in front of it your probably not going to get cooled off anytime soon. I've been lucky enough that the weather has been nice and has allowed us not to use it; but then Saturday came along and I had no choice but to flip the switch. 

So I ask what does every right minded individual do to combat the heat in an an apartment with a less then useful air conditioner... Bake muffins of course!




Yeah, yeah not the brightest thing to do, but I've never made blueberry muffins before and boy are they delicious. I got the recipe from this great blog Vanilla & Lace I did a few minor alterations and when it came to the streusal I didn't use really cold butter and I may have mixed it a little to well because the butter began to melt and it made yummy streusal globs, which by the way I'm not complaining because they still tasted amazing their just not as pretty. 

I was only going to make one batch so I could take them with me for my mid-morning snack but seeing how they were soooo good and the boy really liked them I decieded to make another batch on Sunday. I didn't have enough blueberries that time so I mixed in raspberries Mmmmmm.... Oh the possibilities

Blueberry Muffins
MAKES 12
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar - I used Splenda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 teaspoon vanilla - (I added this to the recipe)

For the streusal topping:
1/2 cup white sugar - I used Splenda
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup earth balance (or butter), cubed
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon


1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
2. Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg (or replacer mixture) and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.
3. To Make Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup earth balance, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking. (You may not use all the topping)
4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.

Well that's it's for me. Tomorrow is a big day. After work Chris and I are going to see Otep at the Railyard; it should be really fun! 

Till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment