Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Weight of the World and Lessons Learned

This isn't about a beginning of journey or a middle or even an end but about what I learned on the way. To start off I should mention that for just about my entire life up until about a week ago I was considered overweight and not just a little but severely overweight. I was the chubby girl and I progressively went from oh cute chubby girl to oh not so cute chubby girl. Every year it got worse and it became out of control after High School. So at the tender age of 21 I found myself utterly and completely miserable. At 252.8 pounds everything HURT, I had trouble breathing, I couldn't sleep, I hated myself and to cap it all off I had and unfortunately due to genetics still have high blood pressure. So as cliched as it my sound on New Years Eve 2008 I vowed to loose 100 pounds and after 2 years, 2 months, and 20 days (last Saturday) I'm officially 100 pounds lighter then I use to be. Now by no means I'm I done at this point it's about becoming as fit and healthy as I possibly can be. So what have I learned in a about loosing weight, meeting myself for the first time, and moving forward.... Well here it is in a nut shell.

It's not rocket science - Eat better and exercise don't diet! It's pretty self explanatory, however, it is never that easy you have to want it in your life. Don't let it become a chore.

Routine - More than likely your current routine is what got you in trouble in the first place, so change it up! Obviously try to get some exercise in but change other things as well. I found that my biggest enemy was TV, every time I sat in front of the boob tube I felt like I needed to eat the entire kitchen. For me I had to fill my evenings with other activities I barley watch TV anymore and honestly I don't miss it that much.

Portion Control - This is a big one. When I moved in with my boyfriend and started cooking dinner for the two of us I found that I was eating the same exact portions as he was, big mistake. Look at what your eating we all know that sometimes are eyes are bigger than our stomachs. An easy fix is to use your smaller salad plates instead of those huge dinner plates.

Give your self a chance - Often times we are our biggest critics, give yourself reasonable goals. When setting goals give your self some leeway for example on calories per day I try to keep my intake between 1200-1600. Setting specific short term goals can be stressful. As long as you reach your long term goal who cares if didn't reach that specific weight each week.

Set backs and Bad days - You will have bad days and that's something you're going to have to except but the beauty about them is you'll get through them and that's to no ones credit but your own. It's really OK we all need challenges whether it comes from an outside force or from ourselves, it's human nature something that we need in order to survive.

Don't deprive yourself - Yes eat better but if you start to use healthy eating as a punishment for having a favorite dessert you might be setting yourself up for those previously mentioned bad days. So if your at special event and there's dessert have a piece not the whole thing of course but a small piece.

Say hello to yourself - Hello self, why it's so nice to meet you... It's nice to meet you too self long time no see... I know it sounds funny but you won't look the same after loosing weight you will be a new person inside and out so take some time to realize who that person in the mirror is and what you've accomplished so far.

It's all you - You have to do this for you, no one else. It may sound harsh and don't get me wrong your family and friends are and may always be an inspiration to you and that's a wonderful thing, but you need to do this for you.

Evolution - Change is good, life is about all the changes. We should always strive to evolve and become better then we are. Be you and if you're not sure who that is just yet don't worry I'm sure you'll find yourself along the way.

Well that seems to be enough for now till next time.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on reaching an awesome goal of losing that much weight and sticking to it for that long.

    ReplyDelete